This week I have the final stages of testing to share for the HO Baldwin RT-624 before it’s released next week.
The big news is the etched brass has arrived. Thanks to all of you who pre ordered, your etch will be in the post this week.
The etch fret contains handrails, sun visors, grab irons, windscreen wipers, train phone antennas and MU hoses.
All the parts for the HO RT-624 kit look like this.
You may also need the truck conversions to rotate the Bowser trucks in the donor chassis as shown below. These are the same as for the HO DT6-6-2000 model and when I release the RT-624 next week I’ll include a link for these.
Lots of the details on the RT-624 etch are the same as the DT6-6-2000 but I still wanted to test fit as much as I could. Please note that in the photos the shell and 3D printed parts haven’t been fully cleaned yet and the brass is not glued in, just resting in place.
The end handrails are half etch and half 3D print. For strength the etch parts pass through the 3D print.
The sun visors fit nicely into the angled slots in the shell.
The side handrails all have holes or locating lugs to fit into and it fits well, but as you can see its a little bent. This is simply because I got a little over enthusiastic cutting it out. As the etch is thick, 0.5mm, it takes some force to cut. I cut mine out on a cutting mat with a large craft knife (Box Cutter) and the force bent the handrails. The trick is to put something hard and flat on top of the etch to prevent the part you are cutting out from bending up.
The grab irons are basically the same as the DT6-6-2000 but I’ve made a slight change to the holes which made them a perfect fit. I fitted them without bending. Once pushed all the way in they easily bent down. Each grab iron has a small lug preventing them from being pushed in too far. When fitted with glue these will be secure and strong.
All four on the side are the same.
The top grab iron doesn’t bend.
The last check I wanted to make from the etch was for the MU hoses. Each end has eight and they push into the square holes in the 3D printed section of the end handrail.
It looks a little out of line as nothing is glued in place but once it’s all painted and securely fitted I think they’ll look very good.
I now have a few small details I want to tidy up on the 3D printed shell but it’s almost finished. Next Monday I’ll release the model in two versions. The PPR early version with the Trainphone and the later without. There will also be one extra RT-624 for the single Minneapolis Northfield & Southern locomotive numbered Twenty Five.